As a personal stylist, my goal is to help my clients to define their true style. During our consultation, we talk about lifestyle, fashion, go over their image goal and what will be our plan to achieve it.
Personal style is a way to develop a proper image and get it aligned with your personality. You want people to understand who you are just by looking at you.
Here is a great fun little exercice to determine what the image you want to have:
First step: Think about the future you.
- In what purpose you want to revamp your image? (new job? uninspired by your closet?dating? )
- How would you define your future style? Use specific words like urban, classic, chic, bohemian, preppy, tomboy, minimalist… to categorize it.
- What do you want people to think when seeing you? (i.e successful, sophisticated, creative, authoritative…)
Second step: Create an inspiration board to illustrate this future you.
- Open a new Pinterest board. Don’t use a current one. I would like you to have a blank page because you will want a fresh start.
- Pin about 10 pictures. Here you will want to pin pictures where you like the overall look. You don’t want to focus on the very specific details. In other words, you will not necessarily reproduce the exact outfits. The exercice is here to make you understand your personal style as a whole picture. When looking at your board you should understand your general style.
Here is an example of a Pinterest board I put together and here some looks I personally enjoy.
Third step: Compare the words you have for your future image (first step) with your inspiration board (second step).
Do you recognize your future you in the inspiration board? Is it aligned? If not, pick the images that don’t reflect the words you picked and see why in the first place you picked these particular pictures. Maybe there is a second layer of style that you need to take in consideration. You might be a mix of two styles. If so, more fun to play with!
I hope you will enjoy this little exercice! And if not, you can always contact me, I will be happy to answer any questions!