Summer is finally here!! Hopefully we all have a beach destination or a metropolitan city trip planned in the near future. But before we can head out, most of us need to figure out what and how to pack!… That brings us to the inevitable question: “what do I put in my suitcase?”
Luckily, I’ve been fortunate enough to travel often, and have mostly nailed down the science of packing. So I will share with you some guidelines I came up with to create a travel capsule wardrobe.
I like to travel light and always try to have only a carry on with me. So keep in mind this capsule wardrobe is for small luggage.
Just for you…Tada!!! Summer travel capsule wardrobe collage!!
- Make sure you pack easy to wash clothes. Synthetic tops are great because you can hand wash them and they will dry quickly.
- All the clothes that you will pick have to be versatile so you can mix and match them to create new outfits and use them in different places (aka, cities, beach…). But what does it really mean? For most of them, you need to stay away from crazy colors and patterns. Of course your capsule wardrobe will be influenced by your destination. Mine is as neutral as possible. I can take the flower print dress or my jeans short to go either to the beach or walk around a city.
- Pack only three pairs of shoes, knowing that the one you will wear the day of your departure is counted as one. Pick one dressier pair, walking shoes and one flat.Your departure outfits need to be maximized. When flying, I always wear jeans, a cardigan, a jacket, a scarf and put books in my purse. Did I say maximize? It is always cold in planes but also think of all the clothes you don’t have to put in your carry on… If I know I will need a big and small purse (I love cross-body ones when walking around) I just stick the small one into the big one. You put all your travel documents in the small purse so you don’t have to look for your passport, flight tickets, all the time.
- Make sure that most of your clothes can be dressed up or dressed down. Same outfit with some heels and the right accessories and you are ready to go out!
- Pack toiletries and make up in travel size. You can find great options at Sephora. Also, if you only need a small amount of certain products, don’t put it in a travel size container but in a lens holder.
- Accessories will not take up a lot of space and will create a sense of new outfits. Don’t hesitate to pick bolder pieces that give an interesting twist to your outfit since the clothes you are packing are more neutral.
Best of luck! I hope your future packing experience will be less stressful!